Thursday, March 20, 2008

On another note...



Okay, so I couldn't find any sort of reasonable way to work this into the other post I just created...but I can't help but put this up there:

This morning, as I busily answered a few emails, ticked off a couple more items on the book promotion To Do List while the kids finished breakfast, Ellie and Landon quickly took advantage of my level of distraction. Within five minutes, they had liberated a ball of string from the craft bin and woven it around every conceivable object in the kitchen, living room, hallway and bathroom. In one long continuum. Pulling myself away from the increasingly addictive computer screen (I really need to create a new sense of balance for myself here), I discovered the spider's web that had become the main floor of our house.

As yet another snow storm flurried outside, my kids burned off their energy inside. Having created their own twine obstacle course, they began jumping the pulled-taught strings like a football player running drills through spare tires lined up on the ground.

Then it happened.

Just as 18month-old Gabe was catching on, I heard Ellie let out her characteristic howl that signaled the infliction of a true boo-boo. She had close-lined herself.

Getting her dressed for preschool an hour later, I realized the line across the front of her neck had swollen and reddened. She looked like a victim from a slasher movie.


How am I going to explain this to the preschool teachers?


Thankfully, I didn't have to offer any explanation. As Ellie greeted each teacher and child at her school, she promptly described her morning accomplishment:

"I close lined my neck at home and I have a boo-boo now. You need to be gentle with me today, 'cause it really hurts."

No comments: